The Lightest Wood in the World? 1.1.04
WALT: Use the text to find information, and make inferences.
1. What does pruning mean?
Pruning means fixing up stuff like gardens and trees.
2. Why does grandma want to save the seeds?
Grandma wants to save some seed because the possums has been eating the seeds and there are no more trees growing.
3. What did the boys observe about the wood?
The boys observe that the wood was easy to saw.
4. Why do you think Daniel thought it was a good idea to make rafts from the whau?
Daniel thought if they could make a raft they can have a race down the creek
5. What was the difference between the brown whau branches and the green
The difference between the green wood and the brown wood was that the greenwood is heavier than the brown wood.
6. Which raft do you think will float better and why?
I think none of the rafts because if they add lemons it is going to be heavy and then it will sink.
7. What observations did they make about putting the lemons on the rafts?
They tried adding the lemons and see how many each raft could carry before it sank.
8. Find a legal image using > Insert > Image > Search and type ‘whau’. Find a suitable image and post to your blog with a few sentences that retell the story.